Dennis’ 7 Dees Landscaping and Garden Centers is a growing Equal Opportunity Employer, based in Portland, OR. We work collaboratively with all of our clients to provide landscaping and gardening solutions that fit their needs. We engage in all areas of Landscaping, including Landscape maintenance, construction and design for Commercial and Residential projects.
Our culture reflects our commitment to great design, customer service, and employee growth. Dennis’ 7 Dees provides our employees with an enjoyable work environment and opportunities for professional and personal development. We have an excellent and diversified benefits package including 100% employer-paid medical for eligible employees, weekly pay dates and an employee discount.
As an Estimator in our Commercial Landscape Construction division, you will be responsible to produce accurate, organized and thorough professional bid proposals in a timely manner. To thrive in this position you’ll need 2-3 years’ experience in construction or landscape estimating. Your main duties include gathering and clarifying all relevant bid data, obtaining subcontractor quotes, producing landscaping and irrigation take-offs, proposal and submittal preparation and keeping the bid tracking log updated.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- Familiarity with estimating techniques and software, including but not limited to on-screen takeoffs and Google Sketch-up
- Mathematics — Knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications. The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and correctly.
- Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services.
- English Language — Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
- Computers and Electronics — Knowledge of electronic equipment and computer hardware and software, including applications.
- Mathematics — Using mathematics to solve problems.
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Reading Comprehension — Understanding written sentences, specifications and paragraphs in work related documents.
- Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
- Judgment and Decision Making — Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Inductive Reasoning — The ability to combine pieces of information to form general rules or conclusions (includes finding a relationship among seemingly unrelated events).
- Mathematical Reasoning — The ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem.
- Oral Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Oral Expression — The ability to communicate information and ideas in speaking so others will understand.
Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 2-3 years of experience in construction or landscape estimating
- Commercial landscape construction experience preferred
- Valid driver’s license and ability to meet company guidelines for driver eligibility.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Contact appropriate parties necessary to clarify information concerning the project scope, interpretation of specifications, drawing inconsistencies or any other item that apply to the bid.
- Responsible for all specifications, addenda and notes that apply and indicate that they are read and noted.
- Responsible to complete and/or update pre-qualification information forms as needed for governmental agencies, general contractors or job-specific pre-qualification forms.
- Responsible to obtain all drawings that apply to the scope of the project, including grading, civil, electrical and demolition drawings and procure copies for design/build elements of the project.
- Maintain accuracy of take-off information is within 2% of the actual quantities
- Solicit written subcontractor bids when necessary. Subcontract bids are to be submitted prior to bid date in written form. Maintain a positive relationship with subcontractors.
- Attend pre-bid meetings and site visits when required and necessary to complete the bid accurately and competitively.
- Secure bonding quotes, permit quotes and other fees or clarify responsibility for them if they are required to complete the project.
- Develop a strategy for completing the project in an efficient and cost effective manner and clearly communicate this strategy to the reviewing supervisor or project manager.
- Apply value engineering to projects as appropriate and as directed by the supervisor or project manager.
- Estimate change orders when required (ASI, RFI, CE’s)
- Assemble the finished bid and proposal in the accepted format for supervisor’s review. All the bid information, drawings and all backup information should be included in an organized and logical manner.
- Submit bids for supervisor’s review as follows:
- Complex projects of bids over $100,000 submitted a minimum of 24-48 hours prior to bid time
- Bids less $100,000 submitted a minimum 8 hours prior to bid time
- Letters, proposals, faxes and bid forms are to be presented in the accepted professional format.
- Provide accurate and detailed information for landscape production to administer the project according to the current established procedures.
- Meet all deadlines for 100% of the projects selected to bid.
- Responsible that bids are presented to the general contractor or owner in the appropriate form and prior to the bid deadline.
- Receive plans from the Department Manager
- Track all projects to be bid by updating the bid board and commercial project log daily as per the current established procedure.
- Select bids to be completed based on the chronological order of the bid date and time or as directed by the Department Manager.
- Attend project management meetings as scheduled.
- Participate with the Project Manager in the project analysis for two selected projects per year.
- Work safely
- Understand and comply with all company policies
- Regular attendance and punctual for scheduled shift
- Perform other related duties as assigned